Sunday, July 28, 2013

How Kid CuDi Changed My Life




The first album that I listened to by Kid CuDi was actually his first album, Man on The Moon:  The End of The Day.  I don’t quite remember how I was introduced to Kid CuDi, but I do remember listening to this album in high school.  I also remember how greatly this album affected my life during those dark times.  This album was literally the soundtrack to my life.  Kid CuDi’s first album affected me so profoundly because of its overall tone, sound, and message.  
When I first listened to this album, I was initially attracted by how dark this album sounded.  I had never before heard such a rapper go so deep into specific human emotional states and translate it so well through music.  I also appreciated how this album unfolded like a story that Common was narrating.  It was like I was going through an emotional experience as I listened to each song play.

I also loved how the sound of this album was SO different from traditional Hip Hop music I’ve heard before.  I loved how Kid CuDi did his own thing and actually made it work out in the end!  It was as if Kid CuDi wanted to go beyond Hip Hop music and wanted this album to transfuse different sounds in order to create the album that HE wanted to make. 

What I appreciated the most about this album was Kid CuDi’s message throughout the album.  Although I now realize that most of the songs on this album were REALLY drug influenced, what I took away from the album during that time that I listened to it was that Hip Hop music could be more than just about money, hoes, and clothes.  Kid CuDi delivered an album that spoke to the soul of loners around the world.  This album was sad, trippy, upbeat, and inspiring.

Man on The Moon:  The End of The Day has greatly influenced the making of my debut album, Loving All My Demons, in many ways.  It had taught me to create not just a great album, but an experience for the listeners to relate to.  It taught me reach beyond traditional borders that we think are hindering our progress and to think outside the box.  Finally, Kid CuDi’s album taught me to write about my story, because THAT’S what people want to hear.

If you would like to listen to some of my music I have released so far, you can listen to my music on my Soundcloud or my official website.  If you would like to stay updated with the progress of my debut album, subscribe to my email list.

Thank you for reading this blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment