Sunday, December 29, 2013

Top 5 FAVORITE Hip Hop Albums of 2013

Because it's near the end of the year, I thought that I should post a blog about some of my favorite albums that came out this year.  So let's get started with my top five favorite Hip Hop albums of 2013!



5.  Danny Brown - Old



I'll admit, when I first listened to Danny Brown's previous album, XXX, I wasn't really feeling it.  The excessive songs about drugs and such are what killed my buzz for that album.  The reason why I listened to Old is because even though I didn't like that album, I REALLY liked to hear Danny Brown whenever he was featured on other Hip Hop artist's songs.  Because of that, I decided to give Danny Brown another chance and oh man, was I blown away by this album!  I liked that Danny Brown not only put his usual drug/club banger type songs on here, but he also had a group of songs where he was more introspective.  It was that balance that attracted me to listen and it was that balance which hooked me into the album.



4.  Kanye West - Yeezus



The reason why this album is number four is because I enjoy when music artists push boundaries.  No matter what your feelings for Kanye West are, you can't deny that he really is a creative genius!  The reception for this album is split but, in my opinion, pushing the boundaries worked out for this album.



3.  Mac Miller - Watching Movies With The Sound Off



I like the overall mood this album delivers whenever I listen to it.  This album is a great improvement from Mac Miller's debut album, Blue Slide Park.  This album delivers everything that I want from an album:  An experience that sucks the listeners into the Hip Hop artist's imagined world.

  

2.  Hopsin - Knock Madness



One of the main reasons I like this album so much is because Hopsin gets REALLY honest.  Hopsin doesn't hold back any of his feelings to the point where he comes off as condescending and even misogynistic on some songs.  Even though I didn't like the way he presented himself on some of the songs on this album, a part of me is sympathetic to his sentiments because I can understand where he is coming from.  It also helps that this album is REALLY catchy.  I-JUST-CAN'T-GET-THIS-ALBUM-OUT-OF-MY-HEAD!  AAAHHH!!!  At the end of the day, I appreciated his honesty and how he kept it real, which made me appreciate this album even more.



1.  Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2



Even though there are some songs that I felt could have been left off of this album, the good songs on this album massively outweigh those "bad" songs.  In my opinion, this is lyrically the sharpest album I've heard by Eminem yet and it helps that he knows how to fuse rap and pop in order to make an album that is approachable yet hard enough for long time fans of his music.  The Marshall Mathers LP 2 proves that Eminem is truly a Rap God.




HONORABLE MENTIONS

Childish Gambino - because the internet



The only reason this album isn't included in my list is because I've only recently started listening to this album.  Don't get me wrong, I really do like this album!  As a matter of fact, I think this is Childish Gambino's most well thought out album he has released yet!  But because I haven't had enough time to listen to this album in order to see how I truly feel about it and because it came out very late this year, I decided to put this album in my honorable mentions list.  If you're a fan of Childish Gambino's music, go ahead and support the album! 




Talib Kweli - Gravitas



Again, this album came out very late this year so I didn't have enough time to assess the longevity of listening to this album, but for now, I think this is a VERY slept on album that came out this year.  In my opinion, the production and lyricism delivered on this album are great, so go ahead and give this album a listen.  If you like what you hear, support it!



No Malice - Hear Ye Him



Unlike the other two albums I previously mentioned, I did have time to assess how I truly felt about this album.  I still think this album is great but I'm not really compelled to play the whole album as much as I like playing a few of my favorite songs from it.  Nonetheless, don't sleep on this album!  This album is full of positive messages, and catchy, but the beats hit hard!  Please listen to it and if you like what you hear, support it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Hayder, Independent Rapper and Internet Radio DJ
Official Website:  http://www.davidhayder.com
Listen to my latest songs here:  http://www.davidhayder.com/listen.html

No comments:

Post a Comment